Okay so I am confused. I have been watching the news today and the reporters have been reading email from people who have given something up for Lent. One person said they are
"giving up telling people what they want to hear and instead being brutally honest with them". This is where I get confused. I mean isn't Lent about giving up something that stands in the way of your focus on God. To eliminate distractions and reflect on our Lord and Savior. These people seem to be giving things up that sound more like New Years Resolutions. I know you shouldn't always just tell someone something they want to hear, but isn't being brutally honest a bit harsh. I mean that is the whole reason the term "brutally" proceeds honest. What do you all think? Could deciding to be brutally honest with someone help with your reflections on God?
Wednesday, March 01, 2006
Lent...your thoughts requested
Posted by Melissa at 4:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I have to agree!! I think giving up something is a way to focus on God and why he gave up his only son for us! Giving up something so small and thinking about how that makes us feel in comparison to how much Jesus gave up for us. What we give up is nothing in comparison and that is what I try to keep in mind during Lent. And even though it may be something trivial that I am giving up, it still helps me to focus on the feelings of giving something up and why he did what he did for us!
I had to laugh at that. Being brutally honest with people?? Yeah, that will bring somebody so much closer to God.
If I were catholic I would give up chocolate. But im not...so pass the oreos! ;)
Post a Comment