Last night I woke up to the cries of my youngest, Jack. He was calling me crying and I could tell his breathing was labored. I ran in a grabed his clamy body and ran back to Dan. I called 911 because he was having so much trouble breathing I was flipping out. I hung up though before they answered because Dan said he would drive him to ER since it is less then 3 minutes from our house. I would have had to stay since our other two kids were sleeping. Well, once you finish dialing that last "1" the operator will call you back to make sure all is fine. So I told him what was going on and since the Fire Department is two blocks away they arrived in about 30 sec. His blood oxygen level wasn't looking to good and he had a terrible "barking-seal-like" cough. They all agreed he had "CROUPE" and said he should probably be taking to ER for a breathing treatment since his breathing was so labored. So I took him while Dan stayed with the kids. They did chest x-rays, two breathing treatments, and an oral steroid medicine to open his airways. I was there about 2 hours and they sent us home with an RX for the steroid for the next 3 days. So he was offically diagnosed with croupe which sounds scarier then it is. He blood oxygen level increased by the time we left so they were happy about that. My nerves were on edge the rest of the night and I checked on him every hour as he sleep. He is feeling better this morning so I am relieved. Last time I had to call 911 was for my oldest when she was 10 months old and had a febrile seizure due to a severe urinary tract infection. Scary, scary, scary to have to call 911. I am sure some of you have been there before. I never want to go there again, but I am glad that I live so close to the hospital in cases like these.
Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Omigosh! How unbelieveably scary!! I went to the ER in April and that was bad enough. It'd be 100 times worse if it were Gracie.
I'm so glad he's alright! He's a trooper that's for sure!!
That is so scary, I know you must have been a ball of nerves! You are extremely lucky to live that close to a hospital. The closest to us is about 45 minutes away!
Glad to hear that he is doing better ;)
Post a Comment