CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Lice

Yep, you read right. We had a case of lice in our family. Poor Sarah, she had them crawling all over. It was a horrible experience. Very embarrassing!! I have always thought that lice are only found on dirty children. Well...we are not dirty people. I didn't know anything about lice and so it was very overwhelming and I hadn't even begun to comb out the nits. First we had to shampoo her hair and kill all the live lice, called louse. As soon as the shampoo hit her hair they started falling out, dead. But that was only the beginning. I had to shampoo her hair two more times just to make sure we killed everything. Then came the worst part, combing out the nits. These are all the eggs, some hatched some not(yuck). The mother louse lays her eggs on the hair follicles and applies a glue like substance to attach the eggs. This glue makes it impossible to just comb out. I tried a vinegar mixture, loads of conditioner and several hours of my time trying to get these buggers out. Poor Sarah, she had to sit there for several hours a night while I combed, teased and tried to rip these disgusting things out of her hair. Finally a week later I am almost done getting the nits out. A form letter went home to every student in Sarah's class to check for lice, no one knew it was because of her though, but I was still so embarrassed. The school secretary was very nice and told me there was nothing to be embarrassed about. She said that they find cases of lice almost every winter. I remember last year when Sarah was in kindergarten I received a letter to check for lice because a case was found in the classroom. I was mortified and felt disgusted. I thought, yuck, what dirty kid came to school with lice in their hair. Well, this year it seems that my kid was the "dirty kid" with the lice, but since I know that we are not dirty, I had to rethink the way I felt about other kids with lice. I now know that all kids with lice are NOT dirty. I can totally relate to the embarrassment of thinking that other people think you are dirty. So if there is anyone out there with a case of lice I just want you to know that I know you are not dirty. Hopefully these lice don't decide to reappear and that this never happens to any of our kids ever again.

6 comments:

Amie said...

No, you most certainly are not dirty. Just one of those fun things about having kids. And Sarah's looks adorable with her new cut.

Amie said...

Why can I comment on this post but not your seven sevens???

Anyways, I wanted to say that Im also forever saying "if your reallythirsty, you will drink water"

Choppzs said...

I know what you mean about feeling embarrassed or whatnot! Olivia has never gotten lice..yet...knock on wood, but every year we get the dreaded "note" saying to make sure and keep an eye out for it and check regularly. My friends little boy had it already and then of course it went around the class. She told me certain things that work and don't work and then went about treating her house too!!! Olivia did start the pink eye epidemic though!! lol that was not fun!! It's always kind of gross when you start really thinking about what your kids can get and bring home from school!! lol

Jamie said...

I remember in kindergarten the neighbor girl and her mom would come over in the morning and then our mothers would walks us to school. Well, one time she had lice and her mom failed to tell us....so I ended up with it! My mom was pretty mad! Aren't you supposed to wash everybody's bedding and all that too? I think I remember my mom having to do all of that, but that was over 20 years ago now...wow it seems weird saying that;0 Anyway, I sure hope those little critters stay away from your home now. Especially with your little baby!

eph2810 said...

I am sorry to hear about the lice. But is like Amie said - it's one of those things you can not controll.

Also, I am having the same problem with posting a comment to the Seven Sevens (been trying it for serval days now). Love your choices on the movies. By the way, I did add your blog to "My Personal Reads" on my blog. I hope you don't mind (just let me know), because normally I ask before I do it.
((((hugs - Sarah))))

Unknown said...

We had those when we were young and our doctor told us that lice preferred clean heads! It is good that you took care of it so quickly. I remember feeling very dirty and embarrassed when I had them.